June 12, 2023 News No Comments

HMRC has recently highlighted that more than 800,000 taxpayers claimed tax refunds for work expenses during the 2021/22 tax year and is reminding employed workers that they can claim tax refunds on work-related expenses that are not reimbursed by their employer through the GOV.UK website.

You can submit a claim through HMRC’s online portal, and it is suggested that it takes around 15 minutes. There is also a handy online tool available which allows you to check the eligibility of the claim before submitting it, together with guidance on the types of expenses that can be claimed.

These include:

  • Uniforms and work clothing
  • Buying work-related equipment
  • Professional fees, union memberships and subscriptions
  • Using your own vehicle for work travel (excluding journeys from work to home)

If you don’t already have a Government Gateway account, you will need to register for one before being able to submit a claim. Again, this is a free service, and it is quick and easy to set up with step-by-step guidance available on the GOV.UK website.

If you need assistance with claiming work-related expenses, you can use the services of an accountant. Please do not hesitate to contact Eldon if you have any queries or need help finding an accountant.

Written by Eldon